Ok, I'm having writers block today, so what Im going to attempt to do is give you 20 normal, random, non-artsy facts about me.
EDITED: this was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Not including art-related stuff? That makes up a HUGE part of my life!
- I played the handbells in high school. I went to a small private high school and handbells was one of my electives. Weird, I know. I haven't picked one up in over 20 years, but I can still remember my part in Carol Of The Bells.
- I love the color orange. Red orange, sunset orange, pumpkin... LOVE!
- I LOVE taking my shoes off. Seriously, as soon as we walk in the door, I flip them off - in the kitchen... much to the dismay of my husband.
- I collect Chinese Checkers boards. I've got several and I'm always looking for "new" ones when I'm in antique stores. I found a really cool one the other day, but it was $65. That's a bit much for me.
- I'm an only child. No siblings... my Mom and Dad were my playmates.
- I LOVE the smell of gardenias. WE have a huge gardenia bush in our backyard and I cut a new batch of flowers every few days in the early summer to bring inside. 1 gardenia blossom can make an entire room smell HEAVENLY!
- My favorite flower is a Black Eye Susan. They're so happy and sunny and I LOVE to see them growing wild on the side of the road.
- I had a goat stuffed animal when I was a kid and his name was "Goat Boy". Go on, laugh... I bet I'm ALSO the only person who had an airbrushed t-shirt of her goat stuffed animal. Ok, don't make fun - remember I said I was an only child? Yeah... my PARENTS thought I was cool...
- I LOVE grape flavored stuff. Grape soda, grape bubble gum, grape koolaid, grape popsicles...
- I love to read and re-read books. When I find a book I love, I will read it over and over again. I like to read new books too, but there's something neat about re-reading an old book... I ALWAYS find something new the second (or third) time I read it.
- Taco soup is probably my favorite meal. It's so cheap and easy and I make a HUGE batch and we eat on it for at least 2 days (3 if the kids are at their Dad's and it's just me and Steve). Steve likes to eat his with Tostitos Scoops.
- I hate to vacuum. I put it off and put it off 'til I can't stand it anymore. We're talkin' dog hair blowing around like tumbleweeds.
- I hit a lull just now and asked my 12 year old to give me a fact about myself and she said, "you love to cook". She's right - I love to cook.... and I'm really good at it too. I like to try new recipes, but for the most part - I just make it up as I go. One thing I can't cook though - biscuits. Can I even call myself southern if I can't make biscuits?
- I'm allergic to cats. Yes I have a cat. Yes I'm allergic to her. My allergies aren't as bad as they USED to be, but if the accidentally scratches me, I get all itchy and my skin swells up like a mosquito bite.
- I LOVE pens. I have hundreds - felt tip, brush pens, fine tip, markers, gel pens, ball point pens, fountain pens. It's not an obsession... I prefer to call myself a connoisseur. For real.
- I have a pair of Teva sandals that I bought in 1996 or 1997 and I'm still wearing them in 2018. I know they have made leaps-and-bounds in comfort, but my shoes still look brand new... If it aint broke - don't fix it (or buy new ones).
- My youngest loves stuffed animals (specifically pigs) and I'm more than happy to buy them for her, because you know what? I love stuffed animals too.
- If I had to chose my last meal, it would be pinto beans (cooked with a ham bone), soupy taters, and cornbread with spicy chow chow. My Granny was an EPIC cook and she could make an awesome meal out of the most humble of ingredients: a $0.99 bag of dried beans, a leftover ham bone, a $2 bag of potatoes, a little bit of butter, and some cornmeal.
- I would LOVE to have a chicken coop in my backyard to have fresh eggs and sweet chickens clucking and pecking around. They're allowed in our city, but I don't have a fenced in backyard, so I need to figure that out first.
- I like to sew. I don't do it very often anymore, but I used to love to be elbow-deep in a box of fabric scraps piecing together a quilt or hemming pants or sewing curtains... there's a really awesome sense of accomplishment when you make something useful.
Maybe that last one was a bit artsy, but not in the traditional sense (painting, drawing, crafting, creating, etc.). So that was 20 random non-artsy facts about me. These were really fun to come up with!